Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Driving?...It's more fun in the Philippines!


It has been almost 3 years since I last held the steering wheel of a car and I have yet to gather up my courage to drive the busy highways of Manila like I used to. 

It has been a month now being the designated "school bus driver" for the kids. And I should say, driving in the Philippines has really changed. One has to be both aggressive as well as defensive when driving. You are not only up against other vehicles but also motorcycles (which has tripled in number), bicycles, tricycles and even the pedestrians who just keep on crossing the street whenever they feel like it even though there is a pedestrian lane for them.

As for the motorcycles and bicycles, I just don't understand why they are always in a hurry, zooming on both sides as if they are in a car chase of some sort. Now I wonder if they are also aware of the traffic rules? 
Arghhhh!

As for the tricycles, aside from also using the same lanes as cars, they are a bit slow especially of they are packed with passengers and the worst part is that they suddenly stop without warning when a passenger will go off. AND they wouldn't even have the courtesy of stopping on the side of the road.
Arghhhh!

The pedestrians, well, I just don't know if they are aware of what they are doing when they suddenly cross the streets. I have also encountered people who are texting while walking and and they don't even realize they are already in the lane for the car...tsk, tsk, tsk...
Arghhhh!

For somebody who isn't used to these kinds of road situations, driving in the Philippines will surely be a super extra challenge for them.

So, looks like I just have to live with this. 
It's another driving day tomorrow!

Driving + Traffic = Stressful!

No comments:

Post a Comment