Thursday, May 31, 2012

Learning with MILK/BOTTLE CAPS!

It has been months since I started collecting the caps from mineral water bottles as well as milk cartons. I have gathered a lot of ideas as to the fun learning projects I will be using them for. 


First stop, as counters.
I saw these cute wooden lady bugs and it was love at first sight. I immediately pictured in my mind how great they would look when I will stick them on top of the caps and use them as counters for my math lessons with Paige.

Counting is one thing, but teaching the child one-to-one correspondence is another topic. It is easy for kids to pick up rote counting (verbal counting) but it does not equate to the fact on whether they are aware of what the meaning of these numbers are. That is where one-to-one correspondence comes in.

There are a lot of activities available in the web to make counting and one-to-one correspondence a fun learning experience for kids. Let's face it, sometimes they would just not be that interested in counting especially when it comes to the big numbers. Using manipulatives such as these counters will help them see that learning is a fun thing.

I got this great counting activity mat from Confessions of a Homeschooler.
You can also use it with a lot of things like stickers and pompoms.

Have fun counting!


No comments:

Post a Comment